Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Wordless Wednesday #25 "Doors"

Some of you may have noticed that I have been MIA lately as I am spending my summer vacations in my homeland, Armenia with my little girl. We mostly spend our time on playgrounds, amusement parks, and public gardens and I hardly find any time to post anything but random photos from now and then.

However I could manage to take a tour to the second largest city of Armenia, Gyumri, once well-known as the city and center of "crafts and arts".

It was my first visit to this city and I was really impressed how beautifully it has been reconstructed after the terrible earthquake in 1988.

In spite of this, the residents of Gyumri are well-known for their humor. Gyumri is also called " the laughter and humor capital" of Armenia. They are also distinguished for their dignity and conservatism. They have done their best to keep their traditions and local customs which is evident at every corner of the city.

I was especially attracted to the old doors. They took me back to my favorite old films and the most famous Armenian actor of all times, Mher Mkrtchyan, a proud citizen of Gyumri.

So, this week's Wordless Wednesday is dedicated to the doors I came across in the city of Gyumri.


Gyumri was the first city to open a theater and was home to the first opera show ever staged in Armenia. Before that plays were performed in the living room of rich men's mansions.
Have a look at the remarkable door of the Puppet Theater in Gyumri.


In the 19th century, Gyumri (which was then called Alexandropol after the beloved wife of the Russian Tsar Nicolay I)resided Greeks, Turkish, Russians and Armenians who lived peacefully together and developed different trades and cultures.

 

Gyumri is home to many prominent museums in Armenia and is the birthplace of many legendary Armenian actors, poets and writers. Their museums and house museums are located there and if you take a guide you will learn lots of interesting facts from their lives.


I am linking up with






7 comments:

  1. Great post! I love all of the detailing on those old doors!

    https://colorandgrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they were amazing! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful doors. Glad you shared. In the last week, I have been watching a show where some characters are from Armenia and here I am reading your post :)
    I now want to visit Armenia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, glad to hear that, what was the show called?

      Delete
  3. Very interesting designs on the doors! I've also been fascinated by old doors because there is so much history in them. I'm glad you captured these unique doors and shared some interesting trivia about Armenia that many of us didn't know. Thanks for linking up with us this week, Lucine. See you again at #ww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for checking out my post, appreciate it a lot!

      Delete
  4. Wow! They look so attractive ...... doors are one of the fascinating subject for photography.

    ReplyDelete