Wednesday, December 26, 2018

December 24 - If I could spend Christmas with Someone who has passed...

Day 24 - Write a post. If you could celebrate this holiday with someone who has passed, who would it be and what would you do?

Christmas can be a hard time for those who have lost a family member. And it doesn't matter if the loss is recent or no. Christmas is the time that revives childhood memories and lets us miss those dear ones who are physically no longer with us. 

If I could celebrate this holiday with someone who has passed it would be my Grandma Anna. 

What would I do?

I would visit her (the house where my mother grew up).

She would ask me to clean the house before the New Year.
She would especially insist on polishing the windows checking scrupulously that every inch was shiny.

Then she would make all her delicious traditional dishes and make me eat until full.

Then I would make the coffee and we would enjoy it with some sweets while she would tell me some interesting stories from her life.

I am 100% sure what her gift would be, a precious old book from my Grandpa's big library with his signature on it.



Dear Grandma,

I want to tell you that back in those days I thought you were too upright and righteous and sometimes impatient with your kids and even your grandchildren. You were a perfectionist in everything, after all, you used to be a teacher. You noticed every detail: in the house, in our clothing, in everything. Sometimes your remarks might sound harsh and critical. But only now when I am a mother myself, I realize what lay behind that criticism and perfectionism. Not a day passes that I recall your words and deeds and think how many character traits we have in common. Not a day passes without uttering your name as my daughter carries your name too. 
I just want to thank you for your care and mindfulness and for inheriting your upbringing and ethics.




No comments:

Post a Comment